Friday, January 21, 2011

Green Experiments.

Somehow my experiments involving food always end up better than I expect them to.

*Knock on wood.*

Hopefully it stays that way.

Yesterday, I mentioned saving the majority of my beet greens for this weekend. I had a plan in mind. I couldn't wait any longer. Actually, Friday technically is the weekend, so I guess I waited just the right amount of time.

I've been wanting to make beet chips. I also have thought about how beet greens are similar in texture to kale. Why not make chips out of the greens?!

And so I did. Good way to use up an entire beet.

Beet Greens Chips

Wash the leaves thoroughly and put them on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil on top and then sprinkle with salt.


Bake in the oven (350F) for 15 minutes, or until the greens have become crisp.



All I'm going to say is that these are definitely taking the place of kale chips. At least for now. Or when I decide to buy more beets.

Oh and here is one of the beet chips. Too bad the beet greens chips stole the show.


That was my mid-afternoon snack.

For dinner, I experimented again. I had a bunch of leftovers and I thought I'd make a bake of sorts.

It actually turned into more of a soup.

Lentil Quinoa Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup green lentils, cooked
  • 1/4 cup quinoa, cooked
  • 1/2 can kidney beans
  • 1/2 can minestrone soup
  • 2 handfuls fresh spinach
  • 2 slices swiss cheese

To cook the lentils, add 3/4 cup water to 1/4 lentils and allow water to boil on the stove. Lower the heat and let simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.


Add all ingredients to baking dish and top with cheese.





Because I was impatient, I broiled it for 2 minutes. It probably would have become less soupy if I had baked it for 20 minutes.


I added black pepper and crushed red pepper on top. No salt was necessary since there was enough in the canned beans and soup. 

Just a warning: this soup contains a lot of beans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment