Sunday, January 29, 2012

(The Sweet Potato) Adventures.

I had the coolest foodie adventure this weekend. 

All this while, I've been missing out on farmer's markets. Remember when I used to go to the farmer's market every weekend? And I'd try out new and exciting veggies? And food in general? 

Me too. I reminisce about it sometimes. But now I don't have to!

Check this out:


I was overwhelmed, to say the least. The amount of produce was just ridiculous. I didn't even know where to begin. I probably looked lost and confused. But really, I was just very excited.


It wasn't just the sheer amount of stuff that was overwhelming, but also the prices. And I don't mean this in a bad way.

I got an entire bucket of sweet potatoes for two dollars. An ENTIRE bucket. It was about 9 sweet potatoes.

There were also tons of interesting things I'd never seen or tried before, like...


Prickly pear cactus?! I tasted it. It didn't taste anything like I expected it to. It had a really neutral taste with a hint of sour. I still don't really know what my opinion of it is.

I also got some tomatillos, an eggplant, and lots and lots of dried beans.


(I had to put the sweet potatoes in the picture because...there are just too many not to).

Other food-related adventures of this weekend include:


French toast with chocolate chips + sunflower seed butter + maple syrup. Really, this is just deliciousness rather than an adventure. I thought it was worth sharing.

So speaking of sweet potatoes, have you ever needed to use them up and didn't know how? I did. And this was before buying the bucketful. Ironic.

Hence, this very strange concoction was born this weekend:


Mashed sweet potato mixed with some plain yogurt, salt, and cumin powder. Oh but wait! That's not all.


And some cooked beets.

But that's still not all.


The sweet potato/beet concoction was spread on a whole wheat tortilla which was also topped with some sauteed bell peppers and tomatoes. A fajita of sorts! This was the definition of spontaneous cooking. It looks strange, but it was quite good. It would have been even better topped with melted cheese and some spicy salsa. But it still worked! 

Time to go plan this week's meals...I have a feeling an eggplant will be involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment