Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Under the weather.

My body obviously can't keep up with the endless amount of energy my brain thinks I have. [See this video for proof. And this one. And maybe even this one.] Unfortunately, the energy stores have been depleted completely. It's so hard for my brain to cope with the fact that my body has to take a rest day or two. Or three. Or maybe for the entire week.

Enough of the sadness. Let's talk food.

Sunday at the farmer's market, I bought some huge leeks. Naturally, the first thing I thought to make with the leeks was potato leek soup.

Too bad I didn't have any potatoes.

What I did have were carrots. So...I made carrot leek soup. But not just any carrot leek soup!

Roasted Carrot, Garlic, and Leek Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 leek
  • ~3 large carrots
  • 4-5 garlic cloves
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
  • black pepper
  • olive oil

Chop the leeks and carrots. 


Place them on a baking dish along with unpeeled garlic cloves, drizzle olive oil, and bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes. Use your judgement here! I checked on it every so often to make sure the veggies weren't becoming too crisp. 



While roasting the veggies, prepare a large pot with the vegetable broth and spices (I used nutritional yeast and pepper). Bring to a boil. 


When the veggies are done roasting, add them to the pot.


Side note: the roasted garlic looked really good--slightly browned but still really soft. And it tasted great! Not that I took a bite out of it or anything...


Cover the pot and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.


Take out the immersion blender (or dump all of the contents into a regular blender) and blend away! I love my immersion blender. It makes blending so much easier and cleaning it takes 10 seconds.


So creamy. And so flavorful! Who knew that simple ol' garlic and leeks had this much flavor?

Cilantro garnish!
And this makes two servings. Even better!

Check out yesterday's fancypants afternoon snack.

Whole grain toast topped with goat cheese and spicy fruit salsa.
Crazy idea right?! But SO GOOD! If you're curious about the fruit salsa, the ingredients are: peaches, pineapples, mangoes, tomatoes, garlic, onions, and eight chilis. It's the perfect amount of spicy and not as sweet as you'd imagine it to be!

Have I convinced you to go to your local farmer's market yet? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment