Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Outside the box.

I want to show you guys a spontaneous item I bought yesterday. I went to Sunflower with the sole purpose of getting some chia seeds, and got a little distracted in the tofu/tempeh section...


How could I resist?! The bottom of the package says "Fakin' Bacon." This was way too intriguing to pass up.

I broke in the "bacon" by making what I'd like to call a super gourmet dish!!


Tempeh "Bacon"-Wrapped Broccolini

Ingredients:
  • 1 small bunch broccolini, divided into 2
  • 2 strips tempeh bacon
  • olive oil
  • optional: salt and pepper

In a skillet, drizzle a small amount of olive oil and cook the tempeh bacon over medium-high heat.


In another skillet, saute the broccolini (after washing thoroughly!) in olive oil. Cook until the stems are somewhat soft.


And then wrap!


I wouldn't call this the most practical of meals, but it's nice to look at! Also, I cooked the tempeh to a crisp (I prefer crispy to chewy), but for this, I definitely wouldn't recommend crispy tempeh, only because it was quite difficult to wrap the pieces around the broccolini!

For this next one, I warn you to keep an open mind.

Think outside of the box, if you will.

I tend to throw together some interesting food combinations when I feel like making a certain cuisine and don't have the proper ingredients.

Exhibit A: tacos.

I wanted to make tempeh bacon tacos for dinner today. There were two problems with this:
  1. I didn't have beans.
  2. I didn't have cheese.
A vegetarian making tacos really only needs those two items. You're probably wondering what the heck I ended up doing.

Check this out.

Corn tortilla + 3 chili hummus + random (thoroughly washed) greens + crispy tempeh bacon,


topped with thawed frozen mushrooms and bell peppers,


and finally topped with spicy salsa and eaten in taco form.


I'll have you know that it was a delicious concoction. I'd do it again.

You're probably wondering why I keep emphasizing the fact that you should thoroughly wash your veggies. That's another story for another day...let's just say you won't want to be eating when you read about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment