Monday, May 23, 2011

Spinach surprise!

When I was younger, we used to go to family parties, and I could always count on the fact that certain foods would be there. 

Namely jalapeño poppers and spinach balls.

Sigh, I always looked forward to those jalapeño poppers, bursting with cream cheese as soon as I took a bite out of that crispy, fried jalapeño. 

At least the spinach balls were relatively healthy.

Today, I made those spinach balls. I don't know why I didn't make these sooner. Me + spinach = match made in heaven. 

#dramatic


Spinach Balls

Makes about 12

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 of a 16 oz bag of spinach
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup parmesan or cheese of choice*
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs (~1 1/2 slices of toast, ground up into bread crumbs)
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • salt/pepper/oregano to taste
*I used half parmesan, half nutritional yeast.

Thaw the gigantic block of frozen spinach in the microwave. 


In the mean time, heat the olive oil and throw in the garlic cloves until lightly browned. When the spinach has thawed, beat the egg into it and add the olive oil/garlic mixture.


Add the bread crumbs.


Mix in the cheese and seasonings, and form the mixture into balls. Also, I recommend lightly greasing the baking sheet!


Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes. 


I guarantee that if you don't normally like spinach, you will like this snack!!

I can't get enough of my spinach. Lately, I've been adding a handful of spinach to my smoothies. 


This specific one included almond milk, 1/2 frozen banana, and lots of frozen berries. I promise, the spinach taste is non-existent when blended into a smoothie.


I also put a dollop of sunflower seed butter on top of this smoothie. I realize the color of this smoothie is a little questionable...but oh well.

Lastly, I have a surprise for you!


I told you I would be having teaching withdrawals resulting in a plethora of new fitness videos. I had too much fun with this song!! But I do have some advice for you: practice your Zumba with shoes on...otherwise the bottoms of your feet will be in lots of pain. Woops.

No comments:

Post a Comment