Sunday, July 1, 2012

The happiest place on earth.

How do these weeks pass by so quickly?! I had a goal to update mid-week, and somehow, mid-week slipped by and now it is Sunday again. And I have 10,000 pictures that must be shared. All of which will not be posted today, so you can now continue reading.

Let's start with my new favorite breakfast concoction. We all know how much I love overnight oats and how I have eaten said overnight oats everyday for far too long. The best part about overnight oats is that the topping/mix-in options are endless. Lately, I've been adding ground flax seeds, unsweetened coconut, and berries. And topped with sunflower seed butter, my favorite!


Never gets old. Despite not including my other favorite ingredient, chia seeds. Soon enough, though, soon enough!

So last week, I brought back the spinach pesto. I tweaked my original recipe a little bit and ended up using the following ingredients:

  • 1 cup fresh basil
  • 2 cups thawed frozen spinach
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 2 cloves garlic

I didn't use parsley and used about the same amounts of the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. This version is obviously not "light" considering the walnuts, but I really liked the way that it turned out, both taste and texture-wise! I ate it with some quinoa pasta all week for lunch.


I've also been using my Ninja so much lately, it is getting a bit out of control. Yesterday, I made my own Lara bars. Except instead of shaping them into bars, I made them into balls because...there was less effort involved.

I blended together about 1/2 cup of dates, 1/4 cup walnuts, and 4 small squares of dark chocolate.


Surprisingly, the mixture came out as a sticky paste that was very easy to shape, and it actually holds itself together quite well.


I also used my Ninja this morning to make spinach pancakes.


I know, it sounds strange. But spinach really does not affect the taste of anything! I used my regular pancake recipe (using a whole wheat pancake mix) and blended the batter with a couple of handfuls of spinach. I added some frozen raspberries to the batter afterwards.


Of course, I used sunflower seed butter + maple syrup as my toppings of choice!

So now that we've talked about spinach in pancakes, let's talk about how I went to this place called the Chocolate Bar. I think it is the happiest place on earth. It includes a candy shop full of just chocolate (including chocolate covered fruit, chocolate covered candy, chocolate covered everything you can think of), an ice cream shop with only flavors that include chocolate, and a bakery full of chocolate desserts. I ordered this chocolate tres leches cake:


Unfortunately, the size of this slice of cake is not being portrayed properly, but it was HUGE. And so light. And moist. And delightful. Unfortunately, I didn't feel so delightful after consuming so much of it! But it was nice while it lasted. (I'd do it again).

No comments:

Post a Comment