Monday, July 18, 2011

Eventful.

I love having such eventful days during summer!! It really makes me realize how un-mundane my life is.

Today, I leisurely woke up at 8:00AM. (Save the commentary on how early I wake up. That's not the point of the story). At 8:15AM, I found out I was to teach a Zumba class at 9:45AM. 

So much for a leisurely morning. The leisurely morning quickly became a sweat-fest morning. Fun times!

Speaking of eventful, the TFG Android App has been updated a lot a lot. I hope the a lot was emphasized enough. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the newest version. It includes not just a list of ingredients for your favorite recipes (which will be changed often) but also audio! Yours truly (me) tells you exactly what to do for each recipe. So for those of you who have Androids, head on over to the TFG Mobile page and download the newest version! Please? :)

Okay...now for the moment you've all been waiting for. Finally, a new recipe! 

*Applause* *Whistles* *Shouts of appreciation*

I've made veggie burgers before, but this veggie burger is definitely the best I've made-- not just in terms of taste, but also in terms of nutritious value. Success^2!



The Falafel-esque Veggie Burger

Vegan, Gluten-free, Soy-free

Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cups cooked millet
  • 1 can garbanzo beans
  • 2 cups frozen spinach
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1 tablespoon ground flax
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or oregano)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt/pepper to taste

Ever seen millet before?


This little grain is the star of the show. If it seems weird to you, it's not. I promise. 

Cook the millet by mixing 1 cup millet + 2 cups water in a pot. Allow it to come to a boil, then turn down the heat slightly until the water has been completely absorbed. 


In a microwave-safe bowl, defrost the frozen spinach. Then pour the garbanzo beans into the bowl and mash.


Make sure there is still some texture left in the garbanzo beans!

Add the ground flax (I usually grind whole flax seeds in the blender), nutritional yeast, and olive oil.


Then add the millet and seasonings. Mix well.


Heat up a skillet on the stove. Form the mixture into balls, then place them on the skillet and flatten them slightly with a spatula. The patties will brown and crisp up a little.


Stack 'em up!


I ate these by filling them inside pita pockets with some baba ghanoush, lettuce, tomato, and sriracha.


SO good! And I promise, no one will ever know these are vegan, gluten-free, or that they contain a grain called millet. 

Interested in that baba ghanoush recipe? That's another recipe for another eventful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment