Saturday, October 30, 2010

Breakfast for dinner? Yes please.

Today, I went grocery shopping whilst hungry, and also before my 90 minute work out. Bad idea. However, I did get all sorts of ingredients for this weekend's (healthy) dessert extravaganza! In other words, that means I got two HUGE cans of pumpkin puree.

If you think you're sick of my asparagus recipes, just wait. You'll be even more sick of my pumpkin recipes. And hey, whaddya know?! Today's dinner features both!

Asparagus and Spinach Frittata
Pumpkin Quinoa Parfait

Both of these are super easy to make. Trust me, after boot camp class today, (which was KILLER-- Selene is absolutely a beast!) I did not have the patience to make some elaborate meal. All I really wanted was something filling and tasty. Eggs usually do a good job of being filling, and, well...I have been craving that pumpkin quinoa parfait (inspired by We Are Not Martha) for quite awhile now. So I made the two simultaneously, but for the sake of clarity and not confusing anyone, I will focus on one at a time.

Let's start with the frittata.

I started by heating some vegetable oil in a skillet. I added asparagus and fresh chopped spinach.

After a few minutes of sauteing, I added enough egg whites to cover the veggies.


I covered this, and let it sit on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.

After uncovering it, I ended up with this:


I added some shredded cheese, covered it for a few more minutes, and it was done!

Served with a side of spicy salsa, of course.

Before prepping the frittata, I prepared 1/8 cup of quinoa. While the frittata and quinoa were sitting on the stove, I prepared the pumpkin yogurt! I mixed a few heaping spoonfuls of pumpkin puree with even more than a few heaping spoonfuls of nonfat plain yogurt.


After mixing evenly, I added a generous amount of cinnamon.

This pumpkin yogurt was good enough to eat on its own!

After the quinoa was ready, I let it cool and added some cinnamon to it.


I put this in the fridge for just a few minutes to let it cool further. Then I began the layering process! I decided the parfait needed a little crunch. So, for the first layer, I added a small amount of my whole grain granola with dried berries (but took out any berries before putting it in the cup!)


Then the yogurt, quinoa, more yogurt, and more quinoa.


Then more yogurt, and finally, topped with chopped pecans and a little more cinnamon.


I had high hopes for this parfait, but it definitely exceeded those. And I am definitely making this again. Frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment