Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sly.

I successfully converted my nutritional yeast-and-kale-hatin' parents to nutritional yeast-coasted-kale-chip-lovers.

*Insert evil laughter here.*

Okay, okay. In their defense, it might have something to do with the fact that I sometimes accidentally come back from the store with a few bunches of kale that were clearly not indicated on the grocery list instead of the tortilla chips that were very clearly indicated on the grocery list...

Heh.

I guess I should also mention that I didn't tell them the kale chips contained copious amounts of nutritional yeast.

Heh. Heh.

Sly, eh? Unfortunately, that wasn't the point of this post. The point I'd like to make is that if you don't know how to make Indian food, you can still impress your parents/friends/neighbors/distant relatives.


Indian Food 101: Veggies

Things you'll need:
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1-2 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil
  • 1-2 tsp turmeric
  • Salt
  • Vegetables of choice
  • Optional: chili powder (the kind that makes you sneeze when you smell it)

Start off heating oil in a pan over medium on the stove. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.


The seeds will start to get fragrant and sputter. Actually the oil gets pretty violent during the sputtering, so don't be alarmed!! I was.

Add the veggies as soon as you hear the sputtering. I used 1 bunch kale, 3 carrots, and some frozen corn.


Add salt and mix around until the veggies are coated with the oil mixture. Turn the heat down slightly. Allow this mixture to heat for about 5 minutes, and then add the turmeric and chili powder.


Stir and cover. Turn the heat off after a few minutes. 

And you are done!! Serve with a whole wheat tortilla (or chapati, or whatever...it's pretty much the same thing!) and a side of dal.


When I figure out how to make dal, you'll definitely be the first to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment