Monday, September 19, 2011

Make-ahead meals. Part II.

Since my last post, I have been working hard to squeeze my workouts in! In case you were concerned.

I've also been working hard to write my blog posts more regularly. Dear readers, please forgive me as I work to improve my time management. But I must say that I'm slowly but surely getting used to sitting all day. I've found that it helps to get out during the lunch hour just to get my circulation back to normal.

All drama aside, I'm still cooking in bulk on the weekends to ensure that little effort should be made for my weekday meals. As boring as it sounds to eat the same thing every night for dinner, it's actually not! I've also been freezing some random meals here and there just to change things up when I feel like it. 

Speaking of freezing things, the freezer is my best friend (as I mentioned before). I love how I don't have to race against time to finish my produce when it's frozen. Not being dramatic about this one. 

As I was saying, bulk cooking! My latest is nothing fancy, but it definitely goes a long way. 

(I had a suggestion to write my recipes written out like traditional recipes, so I will be incorporating that format today!)


Egg "Fried" Brown Rice

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 1 tablespoon fresh chopped ginger
  • Assorted vegetables of choice (ex: spinach, broccoli, carrot)
  • 1/2 cup egg substitute (equivalent to 2 eggs)
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 3-4 tablespoons soy sauce (or more, depending on desired taste)

Directions:
Cook the rice and set aside. In a separate skillet, scramble the eggs and set this aside.

In another pot or large skillet, heat the oil (medium heat) and add the ginger. After the ginger becomes more fragrant (takes about a minute), add the vegetables. Stir-fry the vegetables in the oil until they have cooked. Then, add the cooked rice to this ginger/vegetable mixture and then add the scrambled eggs. Season with rice vinegar and soy sauce and stir until all ingredients are incorporated. Serve with chili paste or hot sauce.


This took less than an hour to make and my entire week's worth of dinners was complete! If you're feeling adventurous, you could definitely make a couple of sides to go with this. I usually just eat a small dessert afterwards :).


What's your favorite make-ahead meal? And do you like the traditional recipe format or the step-by-step with pictures that I usually do? Don't be shy! You guys are the most important part of my blog, so I really like hearing your opinions/suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment