Thursday, September 15, 2011

Appreciation day.

I have a new-found appreciation for people who work full-time and still manage to workout on a consistent basis. Because seriously, my workouts are extremely inconsistent these days. It would probably help if I were teaching some aerobics classes, but I'm not. I've also been holding out on getting a gym membership because there's a gym at work. With fitness classes. And TAI CHI.

YEAH. I know, I shouldn't even be complaining. But someone, please explain to me why sitting for 8-9 hours a day makes me so exhausted? It just does not add up.

Today, I got my workout in by jumping around to some aerobics videos on youtube. As long as it's fun and I'm sweating, it works for me! If only I could make this happen every day.

As far as eating goes, I've still been maintaining the healthy diet. (Of course!). So I thought today, I'd share with you some of my insight on eating healthy on a busy schedule.

Breakfast: overnight oats.


Overnight oats are the BEST for busy mornings. And I'm sure you have the main ingredients on hand: oats and milk. Nowadays, to keep myself full longer, I add in some chocolate protein powder. I mix the oats, milk, and protein powder in a bowl the night before and keep it in the fridge. To make it even more substantial, you can always add some nut butter or fruit in the morning. Lately, I've been blending frozen banana + frozen cherries (aka cherry-banana softserve!) and adding it to the top of my overnight oats. So delicious, and it keeps me full until lunch time. Oh, and I always complement my breakfast with a side of green tea. Always!

Moving on to lunch, I've found that the key is to bring lunch. It's so easy to wake up a few minutes later and not have to worry about packing a lunch. And sometimes, eating out sounds a million times better than boring packed food. But I promise, it's worth it!! I've found that I feel so much better during the afternoon when I eat my own food versus when I eat out.

For lunch, I've been doing a variety of things. Sometimes, it's leftover dinner items with a side salad and some fruit. Other times, it's a sandwich. Today, I had this awesome idea.


Whole grain bread + laughing cow swiss cheese + tomato paste + spinach. I was so proud of my idea to use tomato paste as a spread.

I don't know about you, but sitting all day makes me hungry for snacks. So I also pack snacks. Lately, I'm on this weird frozen snack kick.

It could be the humidity. I don't know. All I know is that I like sticking things in the freezer to see how they turn out.

Snack Exhibit A: frozen grapes.


Try it! They taste like sweet ice cubes. I don't recommend them if you have sensitive teeth though. Biting into one gives you a bit of a shock the first time!

Snack Exhibit B: frozen yogurt.


Literally. Frozen yogurt! It doesn't taste like ACTUAL frozen yogurt, but I think it's a good way to add some variety to my snack stash.

Hopefully this helps, for those of you who work full-time and can't seem to get into the healthy groove. But for those of you on top of your game and are able to squeeze your daily workout in, please enlighten me as to how you do this?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment