Sunday, October 23, 2011

I Heart Beets.

Hi. My name is Tulika and I have a strange obsession with beets.

Now that that's out of the way, let's discuss today's week-in-a-day! The past couple of weeks have been full of not so common ingredients, and for those of you who aren't fans of quinoa polenta, this is for you.

So I had beets, spinach, and tomatoes that needed to be used. Oh, and some basil.

What does one do with that combination? Make pasta sauce, of course. And I didn't use just any pasta...I experimented with brown rice pasta. It tasted a lot like regular pasta and less like whole wheat pasta. I was quite a fan. Healthy food tasting unhealthy? Sign me up!


Beet & Basil Pasta Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 2 beets
  • 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 2 large tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach
  • 2-3 tablespoons chopped basil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt/pepper/oregano

Boil the beets for about 5-8 minutes, let cool, and peel/chop them. Also, chop the tomatoes, spinach, basil, and garlic and set aside.

Pour the olive oil into a medium-sized pot, and add the garlic. Heat the pot on the stove over medium, and add the tomatoes, spinach, and beets. Continue to do so until the spinach has wilted, then add the basil. Then add the tomato sauce and seasonings. Lower the heat and let the flavors mix for another few minutes.


Super easy one-pot pasta sauce! And it lasts for quite awhile. I still have leftovers, but I happily put them in the freezer for another time. 


It's also really, really good topped with melted cheese. In case you needed confirmation on that.


On a completely different note, I know I promised a new Zumba video a few weeks ago. However, plans have changed...because I am going to be teaching TURBO KICK again! I haven't taught kickboxing in almost 6 months, so I've been practicing my routines non-stop. Have I ever mentioned how incredible of a workout Turbo Kick is? I'm thinking the 6 pack might make a comeback? (Wishful thinking).

No comments:

Post a Comment