Saturday, November 6, 2010

Diwali!

What better time to make Indian food than for Diwali? (Diwali is an Indian holiday, also known as the festival of lights. It also is the celebration of good over evil).

We also celebrate by eating a lot. I really think this is the focal point of most holidays, anyway.

Okay, so I cooked yesterday, and I definitely would have posted. However, the dish I prepared was for a Diwali party, and I didn't want to ruin the surprise for the guests!!

I made a cabbage curry of sorts. More like a cabbage gravy? Well either way, it goes well with rice (which I didn't eat). Sigh. Life of a fitness gourmet.

First I heated vegetable oil, lots of cumin, garlic, and mixed in a can of stewed tomatoes (which pretty beneficial, since it contained onions which I hate to cut!), 1 teaspoon of garam masala, and a small amount of chili powder.


In another pan, I sauteed the cabbage in some more vegetable oil. (Yes, I went a little liberal on the oil this time, but only because it was for a party). I also added some turmeric.


To the tomato mixture, I added 2 teaspoons of curry powder, and then combined the cabbage and tomato portions together.


After adding salt to taste, it was done!


I ended up adding the 1/4 cup of left over tomato juice for a more liquid consistency (not pictured).

This dish seemed to be a hit...I'd call it a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment