Thursday, February 17, 2011

Volunteers Needed!

...to cut my squash for me. It is just too difficult. So much so, that instead of using up the other half of my kabocha squash, I only used 1/4 because I couldn't muster up the strength to continue cutting. But the fact that I came up with an awesome new snack makes up for that.

Considering my ethnicity, I don't make nearly enough Indian dishes. But I make pseudo-Indian dishes! Such as curry fries.

CURRY FRIES. I don't even think McDonald's in India sells curry fries. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). But if they don't, they should. (I haven't Googled this one yet just so I can continue thinking I am innovative).

I used kabocha squash, but really any squash would work as a medium for these fries.

Curry Fries

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 kabocha squash, chopped into thin slices
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon "curry" powder (ground cumin + ground coriander)
  • salt

Chop the squash into thin slices of desired length. Mine were all over the place. As I mentioned, the squash was not cooperative. (Remember: kabocha doesn't need to be peeled).


Melt the coconut oil in a bowl and add the turmeric and curry powder.


Stir, and act quickly as coconut oil solidifies if it's cold! Coat each squash slice (both sides!) with the oil mixture, either by dunking the slices in the bowl or using a spoon.



Sprinkle all of the slices with salt and bake in the oven (325F) for 35 minutes, or until the fries have browned. I flipped the slices after 20 minutes. 


These are GREAT. 


I haven't dipped them in ketchup yet, but I have a feeling that I will soon. Will get back to you on it. 


In the meantime, make these, and let me know how they turn out. And also let me know what you'd use as a dip for the fries!

No comments:

Post a Comment