Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Lunch Box Series. Part II. (& Happy 100th!)

I am pleased to announce that this is my 100th post on TFG. Hooray!

This is what I ate for lunch today. Aren't they cute?


And they take about 10 minutes to prepare.

Jalapeno Cheddar Muffins

Ingredients: (Makes 10 muffins)
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (can use more, if desired)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 1/2 large jalapeno, chopped
  • 1 cup frozen broccoli, thawed
  • 1 cup fresh spinach (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter (I used Smart Balance)
  • salt/pepper/oregano to taste

In a bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the milk and cheese.


Add the broccoli and jalapeno.


Slowly add the flour and mix thoroughly until the consistency is dough-like. Then add the oats and melted butter.


Add the baking soda and baking powder. At this point, I decided to add the spinach. Because well...in my opinion, spinach goes well with everything.


Season with salt, pepper, and oregano. Pour batter into muffin tray. Don't forget the non-stick spray!


Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. I suggest doing the clean knife trick to make sure they're actually done!


I really like the way these turned out! Quite moist and quite spicy thanks to that jalapeno.


Yum. I took some of these to school with me for lunch today, along with a bag of chopped carrots...

...with a dollop of guacahummus!

Quick and easy lunch--and these muffins don't need to be microwaved, so they're a perfect portable meal.

And I can't end this post without sharing my awesome dinner. I thought of this while I was studying at my favorite coffee shop today. 

Spicy Pesto Pizza Nachos

Ingredients:
  • corn tortilla chips (or you can bake your own!)
  • several spoonfuls of pesto
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 jalapeno, chopped
  • shredded cheese of choice (I used parmesan and cheddar)

I baked three corn tortillas (torn apart first!) and assembled them on a plate and topped them with the rest of the ingredients.


Either bake or microwave these. I baked them for a few minutes before getting impatient, so I proceeded to microwave them. 


This is the best idea I've had all day. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment