Sunday, February 20, 2011

Double Chocolate.

If you haven't noticed, I'm on quite the muffin kick these days. I can't help it! They make such perfect snacks and come out perfectly proportioned. I'm all about proportions.

I've declared this week "snack week." This recipe is a great way to start the week.

And if you are looking for ways to use up the bananas that are hidden in the corner of the kitchen that are turning mushy, you've come to the right place.

Double Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins

Believe it or not, these are actually healthy.

Ingredients:
  • 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup yogurt (I used vanilla, but plain would work)
  • 1 cup flour (I used spelt; whole wheat or regular would be fine)
  • 1/2 cup oats (I used oat bran because the texture is more similar to flour)
  • 3 heaping teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar (very scant!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

[Note: since I used vanilla yogurt, I added very little sugar. However, if using plain yogurt, you may want to increase the sugar and/or add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.]

Mix together the dry ingredients (flour, oats, cocoa, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda).


Mix together the wet ingredients (mashed banana, egg, oil, and yogurt).


Gradually add the dry to the wet, add the chocolate chips, and spoon into the muffin pan.



Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, or until the knife comes out clean.


I can't even describe how moist and perfectly chocolate-y these are. And of course, they are bursting with banana flavor.


You should experience this for yourself. 


Maybe enhance the eating experience by frosting the muffin with some homemade cream cheese frosting? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment