Friday, August 26, 2011

TFG On the Go.

This is going to be a post full of pictures! I am cleaning my camera up and updating my blog with everything before I MOVE tomorrow!

Expect the sporadic posting to commence...now. But, on the bright side, you'll get to see lots of on-the-go snacks!! And moving adventures (maybe)!

But for now, I'd like to show you some things I've made this week.

1. Oatmeal for breakfast. I should have posted this picture on my last post! This bowl was regular hot oatmeal cooked with frozen cherries and chia seeds, and topped with almond butter.


2. Spring rolls!!! This is another thing I've been wanting to make for so long. Once I made it, I was so sad that it had taken me so long to do so. All you have to do is buy some spring roll wrappers (super cheap and easy to find at any Asian store),


and fill them with ANYTHING. Seriously, anything your heart desires. I chose raw cabbage, carrots, and cilantro.


Okay. It's a little weird that the spring roll is on a towel. But I have an explanation.

To make the spring rolls, fill a plate up with water. Then, take out one spring roll wrapper and soak it in the water for literally two seconds. If the other side isn't wet, flip the wrapper around and make sure that both sides have been soaked in the water. Then, quickly & carefully transition the wet wrapper onto a damp towel or cloth. Quickly fill the wrapper with fillings of choice and wrap it up. (Quick is the keyword because the wrapper gets sticky really fast!)


I made a "peanut" sauce by mixing together some sunflower seed butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, and sriracha. This is an awesome snack idea because the rolls stay together with no problem whatsoever, and no cooking is involved. Unless you count putting water on a plate as cooking.

3. Speaking of sunflower seed butter, I attempted to make some with the food processor. I had lots and lots of sunflower seeds, so it was only the logical thing to do.


UH. Let's just say that almond butter is a lot easier to make. A lot times 1,000,000. Why? Because it involves processing...and processing...and processing...


Several tablespoons of oil, some brown rice syrup, and 20 minutes of processing later...


...it was still not my creamy dreamy sunflower seed butter. In fact, it was literally like cookie dough.


I shouldn't have ever called my pop'ums cookie dough balls, because they didn't really have the texture of cookie dough. But my sunflower seed butter, on the other hand, definitely has the texture of cookie dough. Unfortunately, it's hard to spread "cookie dough" on bread. I did scoop some onto my oatmeal today. Fortunately, it was still delicious. Like unbaked cookies in oatmeal. How can that ever go wrong?

Speaking of pop'ums...

4. I made some peanut butter pop'ums with the above sunflower seed butter! You know, since the food processor was out already. And I needed more snacks for the road!


I only made one change to this batch from the original recipe. Instead of puffed brown rice I used puffed millet. It gave it a chewier texture, really similar to a granola bar. But healthier! Oh, and I froze them. It was a nice little frozen granola treat. Highly recommend.


I'll stop tooting my own horn now.

But I will leave you with this, because it's not hot enough outside.


See ya from...well, you'll see (maybe)! Vague enough?

TFG recommends: Full-Body Weights Circuit

No comments:

Post a Comment