Saturday, March 5, 2011

Proof that TFG is muscular.

Just kidding.

Rather, this is proof that my daily workouts do not just consist of dancing and jumping around. So male readers, this is for you! (And female readers who perhaps are more into strength training than aerobics!).

In any case, I just thought I'd share some convenient at-home workouts.

Fact: I really enjoy doing push ups. In fact, I like to randomly do push ups just to get my sweat on.

Fact: one year ago, I was unable to do full push ups. Not even one.

Fact: burpees are awesome. They are a full body workout, and if you want a quick sweat, try them.

Burpee demonstration:


In the video, I did three of them. There are lots of modifications you can do to make it interesting! For the last one, I added high knees. Also, you don't necessarily have to do the push ups in between--it's still hard without them!

Another upper body workout I like to do sometimes is yoga-based. If you've done yoga, you know that sun salutations are a really good workout! What I do is just the last part of it, which includes downward dog, plank, chaturanga, upward dog, and downward dog. Your abdominals don't touch the ground for the entire sequence.


Fact: doing these types of workouts really helps with the 6 pack. :)

If you're ever too lazy to go to the gym, these are some good alternatives!

---

You guys have been giving me some really good recipe ideas lately! I haven't been mentioning names on here (due to privacy reasons, though I know most of you don't mind). So if I do use your ideas, from now on, I will be asking for your permission to mention your name.

With that said, today's recipe idea came from Zarah!

Fried Rice with Broccoli and Tofu

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
  • 3 green onions
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • soy sauce
  • 1 broccoli floret
  • ~1 inch ginger
  • 1/2 block tofu
  • teriyaki sauce
  • salt

Cook the brown rice. 

For the fried rice:

Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil to a large pot or wok over medium-high heat. Then add the chopped green onions and garlic. 


Fact: I really, really, really dislike onions. (If you haven't noticed, I never cook with them). However, green onions are pretty tasty.

Warning: this mixture will be sputtering! As gracefully as you can, add the cooked rice. 


Stir. Add desired amount of soy sauce and salt for seasoning.


And the fried rice is complete! Easy, right? Well the fried rice needed something to be eaten with...and how convenient that I had one last broccoli floret!

In a smaller pot, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and ginger over medium heat. Add the uncooked broccoli.


Stir for a couple of minutes. Add about 1/2 cup of water to the pot and cover for several minutes.

Uncover the lid and the broccoli should be cooked. Add the tofu.


Season with teriyaki sauce (or soy sauce) and salt. 

Allow the mixture to simmer over low heat. 


And it is ready for some eatin'.


Fact: this is quite a nice post-push ups meal!

1 comment:

Post a Comment