Thursday, December 22, 2011

'Tis the season...

...to overindulge in sweets.

I will openly admit to doing so. Only because it's a huge problem.

Good thing January 1st is right around the corner, and you know what that means. New year's resolution time! And less sugar to be eaten.

Despite the ridiculous sugar consumption as of late, I've been making up for it by making my other meals extra healthy! And these days (like all days, really) I don't spend a ton of time cooking. Or any time. It works out well.

For lunch this week, I've been making the best sandwich ever. (Please excuse the cell phone picture).


Homemade jalapeno hummus, swiss cheese, spinach, mushrooms, and olives between two slices of rye. Does not get easier than that. Unless you buy the hummus..

And for my mid-afternoon snack, I've found a new go-to:


Greek yogurt! I've been experimenting with new flavors lately, and I recently discovered chocolate Greek yogurt. Goodbye, boring old strawberry. The chocolate kind reminds me of pudding! I also add grape nuts to my yogurt to make it more filling...and to add some texture. I don't think it's possible to find something crunchier than grape nuts.

As for other meals, I've rediscovered the beauty of frozen vegetables.


Throw them in a pot with spices of choice and in less than 5 minutes, it's time to feast. And if you're like me and are a fan of multitasking, you can cook your grains at the same time!


Canned and/or dried beans are the best. For the above, I threw together whatever I felt like in a large pot. The "whatever I felt like" ended up being black beans, diced tomatoes (Tex-Mex style!), frozen collard greens, frozen corn, cumin seeds, salt, pepper. At the same time, I prepared some brown rice. At them together with some salsa. Win.

Lastly, you don't even need a ton of ingredients to have a healthy dinner.


I don't know why I don't make baked sweet potatoes more often. And by baked, I mean microwaved. And of course, topped with a little butter. Delish.

So back to that topic of sugar...

TFG recommends: Natural sugar substitutes

No comments:

Post a Comment