Sunday, August 26, 2012

Rut.

I am not going to lie to you.

The reason I haven't been posting recipes for this long (it has been far too long) is because I've been in a recipe rut. Really. I used to spontaneously pick up ingredients at the store, come home, and make a masterpiece out of them.

These days? I am all about the quinoa, lentils/beans, greens, and quesadillas. You think I am kidding, don't you?


I am really, really not kidding. I will never get sick of the stovetop whole wheat tortilla+shredded cheese quesadilla with side of guac/salsa/raw veggies/cooked veggies/whatever else I happen to make into a side. It works quite well, I think.

As for the quinoa obsession, I have been piling it onto various salads as of late.


(Spinach + a corn salsa + black beans + avocado + quinoa with taco seasoning + hatch chili salsa! + cheese). Who said salad had to be boring? If you are curious about the corn salsa, I combined 3/4 a bag of frozen corn, pickled jalapeños, cilantro, juice of 2 limes, and salt. This was my lunch every day last week, and I looked forward to it every time.

Last week, I attempted to make a sweet potato and broccoli hash. It took about 2 minutes to make. Livin' large.


I cooked 2 sweet potatoes in the microwave, cut them into cubes, and sautéed them with a bag of frozen broccoli in olive oil. I seasoned this lightly with salt and pepper. I set some aside for the next day or two. For the satiety factor, I added an egg on top. And cheese, of course.

These days, since I spend the majority of time away from home, I pack lots of healthy snacks with me. I've learned that raw veggies are my best friends (carrots, snap peas, bell peppers, etc) as well as fruit.

I sometimes mix my fruit with Greek yogurt... just for fun. And it's a lot healthier than buying fruit-flavored yogurt.


And to make fruit even more interesting...


Microwave it! I chopped up a green apple, sprinkled some cinnamon on it, microwaved it, and then added a nice spoonful of Smart Balance. A guilt-free dessert!

As for my recipe rut, it ended today. AND I dusted off the old juicer today with a refreshing combination of celery, cucumber, beet, and lemon juice. (No picture, unfortunately, because I chugged that glass too quickly. In my defense, it was right after Zumba! And I was thirsty).

No comments:

Post a Comment