Sunday, September 2, 2012

Cheezy.

Recipe alert!

It's a long weekend, and after spending the first half of my weekend doing a lot of nothing (which was much deserved, in my opinion), I decided that since I have an extra day, I should take advantage of it and spend some time with my kitchen. And my Ninja.

That sentence was far too long. Run-on sentence, alert?

So today, along with really wanting to make some baked zucchini sticks*, I decided that my goal was to come up with some sort of quinoa casserole. With a delicious sauce.

Not just any sauce, but I was thinking of a "cheeze" sauce. If you haven't heard of this term, it's basically a non-dairy version of cheese.

I've made a version once before with butternut squash, but haven't made it with cashews. Today was the day!


Quinoa Casserole with Cashew Cheeze Sauce

Ingredients:

For the casserole:
  • 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
  • Frozen cauliflower and broccoli
  • 1-2 teaspoons olive oil

For the sauce:
  • 1 cup raw cashews
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 heaping teaspoons nutritional yeast
  • ~1/2 cup water (may need more depending on desired consistency)
  • Salt
  • Handful of parsley
  • Oregano
Optional: chili powder or jalapeƱo for a slight kick

First,  cook the quinoa and the frozen vegetables, and set these aside.

Combine cashews and water in a food processor and blend.


Add the olive oil, lemon juice,and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth. Then add the parsley, salt, and oregano.


Blend, and add more water if necessary. The result should have a sauce-like consistency.


Prepare a baking pan by spraying or spreading a bit of olive oil on the bottom and sides of the pan. Add the quinoa and vegetables to the pan.


Add the sauce to the quinoa mixture. I mixed it in since I am a fan of uniformity.

Here is where you could get creative and add some breadcrumbs, more seasonings, cheese, etc. I went with the basics.


Note: I added some water to this to avoid the casserole becoming too dry in the oven.

Bake at 350* for about 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

*The zucchini sticks unfortunately did not happen. But that's what tomorrow is for!

No comments:

Post a Comment