Saturday, January 29, 2011

PESTO!

I've been thinking about this recipe all week long. You don't even know.

But first! I must share my breakfast from this morning. If you haven't noticed, I've been mixing up my breakfasts a lot lately. Most of you readers know that for my entire life, I ate cereal for breakfast. Every day. However, recently, I found out about the presence of sugar in almost every cereal. So I made a drastic move to oatmeal/smoothies/other grains.

I've also made another drastic move in terms of my diet, but I am planning on sharing that much later. [Edited to add: wow, I don't know why I didn't finish that sentence when I originally wrote the post. Woops.]

Today, I made blueberry "ice cream" for breakfast. 

1 frozen banana blended with almond milk, blueberries, chia seeds, and hemp seeds. 

And then I topped it with some grape nuts. 


It was quite creamy, and the grape nuts gave a nice crunch to it. It was like eating cereal with ice cream. 

And now for our feature presentation: swiss chard and walnut pesto.

This is an awesome way to get in greens and healthy fats. Not only that, but it tastes great!!

Ingredients:
  • 2 large swiss chard leaves
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • salt/pepper to taste

Chop the big chard leaves.


Saute them in 1 tablespoon olive oil for a few minutes.


Until they wilt a little.


Chop the garlic in the food processor.


Add the basil.


Add the walnuts.


Add the chard, salt/pepper, and lemon juice. And then add 2 tablespoons olive oil.


And then blend away!



Makes enough to fit in a small jar!


I topped some ciabatta bread with pesto, mushrooms, and fresh mozzarella.



I'm quite proud of this recipe. And I can't wait to try it with quinoa/pasta/roasted veggies!!

6 comments:

OSLiM said...

Dood, I know I've been behind on my reading (tests are coming up like crazy) but I HAD TO STOP and read about PESTO!!! Looks phenom!!! Rich color with good texture!! nn

OSLiM said...

Dood!!! You got rid of that "enter the weird letters you see" thing so we could comment easier!! nn^2!!!!!

Lalita said...

You've made another drastic change to your diet, but you are....what? Finish the sentence.
Geez Tuli, you're practically profesh now. No room for silly mistakes. ;)

lol this looks AMAZING btw. :)

Tulika said...

Wow, we are definitely on the same wavelength. Literally seconds before you posted that comment, I found that and finished the rest of my sentence. lol.

Anonymous said...

ooh the pesto looks so good!!

Lalita said...

see when i told you to finish the sentence, i wanted to know what other drastic change you made. now you're just making me antsy to find out.

what a way to hook people into reading your blog...blatant cliffhangers. that's cheating.

<3

Post a Comment