Monday, November 7, 2011

Turning orange.

I know it's beginning to feel like winter in most places. But here, it's not. I'm kind of loving the fact that it's still 80 degrees outside.

The point is, it's still pumpkin season. And I bet you've run out of ways to use your pumpkins.

But fear not, my friends. This isn't another pumpkin oatmeal recipe. This is...creamy deliciousness. For lack of a better description.

And I might be turning orange soon.


Pumpkin Pasta Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup skim milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 4-5 sage leaves, chopped
  • salt/pepper
  • optional toppings: crushed red pepper, shredded cheese

Start by lightly sauteing the finely chopped garlic and sage leaves in the olive oil for a minute or so.


Then add the milk, pumpkin puree, and ricotta cheese.


Give it a little stir and let it heat up (medium-low heat). Then stir again until it has the consistency of a thick sauce.


Then add the salt and pepper. Since pumpkin doesn't have a very strong flavor, it's best to add more salt than usual for this sauce. Also, depending on the desired consistency, you may add more milk or water to thin the sauce out a bit.

Pour over pasta of choice. I used my quinoa pasta!


I also topped this with some goat gouda I bought last weekend. That put this dish WAY over the top. I was a fan.


I think it's time I start experimenting with other winter gourds. (Don't worry, I won't be roasting various squashes and posting them every day like I did last winter. Even though it was fun).

No comments:

Post a Comment