Sunday, April 22, 2012

Late to the party.

So...I was late to the smart phone party. And hence was late to the instagram party. And hence I am now obsessed with instagram even though it's been in existence for...well, I don't really know.

(Just you wait. You will soon be seeing the results of the obsession).

Let's back up to last week. This is what I ate for lunch every day and it most definitely did not get old:


Sandwich with swiss cheese, sun-dried tomato & basil hummus, cucumbers, spinach, avocado and olives. Another bonus about this sandwich was that it kept me full for more than 1 hour!

This weekend, my goal was to get my life in order. Luckily that is exactly what I did! Starting with making breakfast at 7AM on Saturday morning.



A crisped up tortilla topped with refried beans, cheese, avocado, egg, and salsa. 

My productive weekend also included working out both days, planning both lunches and dinners for this coming week, grocery shopping, and cooking for said meals. Remember how one of my April goals was to somehow incorporate yoga into my workout schedule? I finally did that this weekend, and I think I am now designating Saturday as my yoga day. I hadn't gone to a yoga class in 4-5 months prior to yesterday, and boy am I feeling the effects today. I used to be so strong and flexible! I don't know what happened.

Post-yoga, I wanted to eat something really hearty. Disclaimer: I don't usually do these things but desperate times call for desperate measures.


Chipotle burrito bowl. Who am I? (Really, I asked myself this question after I got it). But I skipped on the rice and sour cream, and added a very minimal amount of cheese to make it a bit healthier. 

(Can you tell I'm really into avocado these days?).

I planned some very elaborate meals for this week. While I did enjoy my sandwiches everyday last week, waking up 10 minutes earlier to assemble it was not ideal. I decided that this week, my lunch would include something that I could pack up the night before and not have to worry about in the morning.

Also, I have a mint plant which is growing out of control and I decided some mint had to be used. And hence the following recipe was born.


Coconut Mint Curry

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
  • 1 bag of frozen cauliflower (~4 cups chopped)
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
  • 1 can light coconut milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 4-5 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 15-20 mint leaves (~3-4 tablespoons chopped)
  • 4-5 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • salt
  • green chilies (optional)
  • roasted cashews (optional)

Cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave until soft, and then chop into cubes.

In a large pot, heat the oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, half of the chopped garlic, and green chilies if using.


Chop the mint,


and add it to a food processor or blender along with half of the chopped cilantro, lemon juice, and the other half of the garlic. I also added 5 or so spoonfuls of the coconut milk to facilitate the blending. 



Set this mixture aside.

Defrost the frozen cauliflower and peas, and add them to the large pot along with the sweet potato. 


Then add the coconut milk, about 1/2 can of water, the mint mixture, curry powder, and salt.


Cook on low-medium until the veggies are soft and then add the cashews. Garnish with the rest of the cilantro.


Serve with rice, quinoa, or grain of choice. 

A fancy meal that does not take much time at all. I guarantee it! (The time, not the fanciness).

No comments:

Post a Comment