Saturday, December 4, 2010

Guest Blog #3!

Spontaneity at its finest.

Meet my dear friend, Cynthia, who is an amazing baker herself! In fact, I should be getting tips from her.


We combined her baking expertise with my healthy dessert obsession to make a healthy chocolate-pecan cake. A group of us had just come back from eating at a restaurant called Delectables for the first time. (I ordered asparagus and dill crepes filled with swiss cheese and chopped asparagus. Fancy!) And after a delicious dinner, we were craving dessert. Actually, I just wanted to put my sweetened condensed milk to good use, and Cynthia wanted to bake. So the two of us whipped together whatever sounded like it would go well in a cake.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 can fat free sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • pecans
We mixed the dry ingredients first, and then added the wet. I made Cynthia do the dirty work aka mixing the batter.


Action shot for real. 


I just licked the bowl. Just kidding there was a raw egg in there.

We put the batter in a non-stick sprayed baking dish.



And baked it at 350F for ~25 minutes.


The real baker doing the taste testing...it passed!

We topped it with some honey for some additional sweetness. I'm thinking maybe a Greek yogurt/cinnamon mixture could go well on this cake, or even a maple syrup/coconut oil combination? However, Cynthia and I concluded this cake would have been a bit better if we had added some chocolate chips in the batter!

Nevertheless, I'd definitely call this more of a snack cake than a dessert cake. Or even a mid-morning breakfast cake. Works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment