Saturday, December 25, 2010

Holiday eatin'. Southwestern edition.

From the looks of it, I guess you could say this week is Southwestern week. But if you haven't noticed, the vegetable weeks have come to a halt during winter break and will return as soon as I am back in the swing of things at school in a couple of weeks.

Before I begin the Southwestern holiday feast, check out this awesome gift an anonymous reader gave to me:

My very own personalized TFG apron!!! 

Just a few tools of the trade...salt/pepper, olive oil, and an apron!

I used this apron to cook some elaborate enchiladas today. It made cooking that much more fun. This is also why I made both green and red, flour and wheat enchiladas. Some with veggies and some with various cheeses. 

Told you it was elaborate.

Remember when I wrote my first blog post and I posted a picture of some enchiladas I had made? Well, these enchiladas are similar to the enchiladas in that picture--and this time the recipe is included!

Ingredients:
  • tortillas
  • enchilada sauce
  • 2 bell peppers
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 3 jalapenos
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • shredded cheese

Saute the veggies (garlic, bell peppers, corn, jalapenos, and black beans) in vegetable oil in a pan. Season with salt, pepper, and Mexican oregano.


Pour several spoonfuls of enchilada sauce onto a plate and dip a cooked tortilla in it, covering each side of the tortilla in the sauce.


Spoon the vegetable mixture onto the sauce-covered tortilla and top with cheese. Roll and place in baking dish.



Pour remaining sauce onto the top of the rolled and filled tortillas. Top with cheese.


Bake at 350F for 15 minutes or until cheese has thoroughly melted.

As I mentioned earlier, I made this with both green and red sauces--pictured below.



Serve with salsa and guacamole.

 2 avocados, 1 tomato, salt, pepper, and fresh lime juice.


Prepare for a food coma.

2 comments:

OSLiM said...

NICE!! This is one of my fav yet, I LOVE enchiladas!!!! And that present is PHENOMENAL!!!!! :D

Tulika said...

I know, best gift ever right?! Try making the enchiladas if you have a chance and let me know how they turn out :)

Post a Comment