Thursday, June 23, 2011

Everyday TFG.

I gave artichokes a second chance.

Only because I had two left to use up after my artichoke shopping spree. It took me one week to get over the traumatizing events that were last week's artichoke adventures.

This time, I made a fancier meal. I figured I should go all out if I'm cutting and cooking two of those fuzzy things.

To change things up, I followed Giada's instructions on how to cook an artichoke and also based my recipe on hers. But if you are a visual person like me, you are in luck, since I took a few lots of pictures to keep you engaged!


Stuffed Artichokes with Quinoa

Ingredients:
  • 2 artichokes
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 3 small tomatoes
  • 1 cup chopped swiss chard (spinach/kale will also work)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt/pepper
  • optional: red wine vinegar and/or balsamic vinegar

To prepare the artichokes: rinse and cut off all but 1 inch off of the stem. Peel all of the dark green petals off until the yellow-ish ones are left.


Cut the artichokes into halves and then into quarters.


With all of the patience you possess, scoop out the fuzzy portion and while you're at it, remove all the purple petals.


Prepare a large pot full of water on the stove and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into it. Then throw the squeezed lemon halves into the pot of water. Do not heat just yet.

Put all of the artichoke quarters into the pot of water, turn the stove on high, and allow the water to boil. Cover the pot.


Cook for about 35-40 minutes, or until the artichokes are tender.

While the artichokes cook, cook the quinoa according to directions. Empty the cooked quinoa into a bowl, and prepare another medium-sized pot on the stove with olive oil and the chopped garlic.

Heat over medium-low, and add the swiss chard and tomatoes.


Add the cooked quinoa and stir.


Season with salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, and a splash of red wine vinegar.

And now, let's put it all together!!

When the artichokes are ready, take them out of the pot and allow them to cool. 

Optional: pour some balsamic vinegar over the artichokes for some extra flavor.

Scoop some quinoa mixture onto the artichokes and serve!


Seriously, make this if you want to impress someone. It works wonders. (Just assuming).


Also, if you were curious, when you try to eat this, the prettiness of the meal definitely disappears. In case you assumed otherwise. And...I did. Good thing I wasn't trying to impress anyone!! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment