Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Artsy.

I think I somehow forgot that summertime means hot weather.

And that means I just want to sit inside and be lazy. However did I act upon my lofty goals of obtaining a 6 pack last summer? I wish I knew.

At least this summer my artsy side has made its presence and I'm making dresses out of t-shirts and cooking fancy meals. (I'll get back to you on that t-shirt dress...it's a work in progress).

Getting back on topic...if you want to make enchiladas and don't have enchilada sauce on hand, don't you worry!! I recently discovered that homemade enchilada sauce is not only easy to make, but it is infinitely healthier than the canned version. Score!


Spinach Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce


Enchilada Sauce Ingredients:
  • 1 (20 oz) can diced tomatoes (or equivalent amount of fresh tomatoes)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • pinch chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth. 


This is so easy, you'll think you did something wrong. But you didn't, don't worry.

Enchilada Ingredients:
  • 7-8 cooked tortillas
  • 1 can refried pinto or black beans
  • 2 1/2 cups cooked spinach
  • ~1 cup shredded cheese
  • enchilada sauce
  • olive oil (for greasing the pan)

Combine spinach and refried beans.


Pour some enchilada sauce in a plate. Dip a tortilla in the sauce and fill with spinach mixture and some cheese. Roll the tortilla up and place it in a greased baking pan.

Repeat for each tortilla.


Do you spot my two whole wheat tortillas at the top? :)

Pour the remaining enchilada sauce (or the majority of it, if you'd like to save some for later) over the filled tortillas. Top with more shredded cheese.


Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes.


Serve with mango salsa.


And enjoy thoroughly until it is all gone (which doesn't take long).

If you can't get enough enchiladas, check here and here for other kinds that I've made in the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment