Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Next Food Network Star?

I watch way too much Food Network. And if I'm not watching Food Network, I'm watching the Cooking Channel. And if I'm not watching the Cooking Channel, I'm most likely watching The New Adventures of Old Christine.

...Don't judge. You know just as well as I do how hilariously ridiculous that show is.

The point is, I've been watching so many cooking shows that I decided I should have my own. And by my own, I mean another video post for my blog. Same thing.

For those of you who don't like cooking shows, I posted written directions with pictures also. Just for you!!

So let's get to it!! Hope your appetite is ready for this one.



Yeah...told you I pretended like I was on a cooking show. 


Quick & Easy Taco Salad with Vegetarian Taco "Meat" 

[Serves 3]

Ingredients:

Taco "Meat"
  • 3/4 cup cooked bulgar (rice or any other grain would also work)
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1/8 teaspoon red chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • ~1/8 teaspoon salt

Taco Salad
  • 3 whole wheat tortillas
  • 1 large stalk kale
  • 2-3 romaine lettuce leaves
  • 1 sweet potato
  • 1 large tomato
  • 1/8 red onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 green chili
  • 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro (or more if desired)
  • salt/pepper
  • optional: shredded cheese

For the taco "meat", combine all ingredients in a blender. 


Empty it out into a small bowl and then mix in the salt.


To prepare the rest of the salad:

Chop the greens, put them in a bowl with olive oil, lemon juice, and about 1/2 minced garlic clove, and mix thoroughly with your hands. Set aside.


Wash the sweet potato, pierce a few times with a fork, and microwave it for 5 minutes. Let cool and then chop into cubes (with or without the peel). 

For the base of the salad, lightly spray or brush olive oil on three whole wheat tortillas, place on a baking sheet, and bake in a 350F oven while pre-heating for 5 minutes. Make sure to flip halfway through and check frequently to ensure the tortillas don't burn. Leave out for a few minutes--this is when they really begin to crisp up. 


To make the salsa, combine the chopped tomato, onion, the other 1/2 clove garlic, cilantro, salt, pepper, green chili, and lemon juice. 


To assemble, start with the crisp tortilla on a plate. Add the greens, the "meat", sweet potatoes, salsa, and top with shredded cheese.


So delicious, crispy, and healthy!! It contains pretty much every food group in every bite. 


So...now I want your opinion!

Cooking videos--are you a fan? Or do you prefer regular instructions with pictures?

TFG recommends: Have you ever wondered about the differences between the many types of yoga? This article gives a great description of each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment