Thursday, June 2, 2011

To-mayto, to-mahto.

I just got back from a Hydro Training (a.k.a. water aerobics) class. But I have lots of food and pictures to share with you today! So I'll go into more detail on this aqua class tomorrow after I've done some research on it. Plus my eyes are closing because for some reason, being in water makes my body want to immediately fall asleep.

On a completely unrelated note, this was yesterday's late night snack:


Bruschetta! With sliced tomato and garlic on whole grain bread, topped with mozzarella.

Dinner today was quite elaborate.


Whole wheat pitas with black bean hummus, veggies (romaine lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers), tomato vinaigrette, and cheese.

First, let us discuss the hummus. My mom has been wanting to make it for awhile, so we decided to try it today.


This black bean hummus included the following:
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 tablespoon tahini
  • 2 large cloves garlic
  • 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt/pepper

Blend the following in a blender or food processor. The measurements for olive oil, lemon juice, and salt/pepper should be adjusted according to taste.

The hummus came out nice and creamy! I am definitely a fan. If you like regular hummus, you'll definitely like this too. It would be really good with some cilantro added in as well!

Moving onto the tomato vinaigrette. I thought this would be an efficient way to use 100 tomatoes.

Or 8. Same thing.

Tomato Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
  • 8-10 tomatoes (I used various sized tomatoes)
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic
  • salt/pepper

Bring a large pot of water to boil and add in the tomatoes.


Take the tomatoes out after about 30 seconds and let them cool. Then peel each tomato.


Bald tomatoes look hilarious, by the way.

Cut the tomatoes and put them in a blender, along with the rest of the ingredients. Blend.


I added no water to this dressing, and yet it had such a liquidy consistency.


Who knew that using up so many tomatoes would make such a large amount of salad dressing? So much that I had to bust out a jug to store it?


Mmm. Pitas.


I should have emphasized that tomato week was not a joke. Not even a little.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caprese salad?

Post a Comment