Tuesday, May 31, 2011

TFG's makeover!

A couple of announcements:

I finally had a chance to give my blog a much needed makeover. Hope you guys enjoy it and find it easier on the eyes. If you have any suggestions though, feel free to let me know.

Also, I changed the comment section. Now, when you comment, you will receive an email notification when I reply to your comments! Hopefully this will give you more motivation to comment :). Plus it's a lot more user-friendly.

In food news...

I've been eating lots of tomatoes lately! Later this week I'll do a post on the nutritional stats...since right now I'm in sort of a time crunch (about to go to Zumba!). 

Let's get this tomato party started!


Spicy Mango Salsa

Ingredients:
  • 5 tomatoes
  • 1 mango
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 jalapeno
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 2 green onions
  • ~2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • salt/pepper to taste

Chop all veggies and combine in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Chill in fridge until ready to serve.


Serve with tortilla chips.


So refreshing. And quite spicy if you don't have numb taste buds like me! If you want this to be less spicy, I suggest using half the jalapeno and/or scooping out all of the seeds. I left some of the seeds in to make it interesting!

I hardly made a dent in the tomato stash from my dad's garden after making this salsa. It's pretty insane! Not to worry, I've come up with a ton of tomato-based recipes.

Like this recipe that takes 5 minutes to prepare. Seriously.


Tomato & Broccoli Quiche with Tortilla Crust

Ingredients:
  • 5-6 small corn tortillas
  • 3 tomatoes
  • ~1 1/2 cups cooked broccoli 
  • 3/4 carton egg substitute (I used the Southwestern flavored kind)
  • 1 veggie burger
  • shredded cheese 
  • salt/pepper
  • non-stick spray or oil

Spray or oil an oven-proof glass dish. Place tortillas on the dish to form the crust.


In a bowl, combine tomatoes, broccoli, salt, pepper, and veggie burger (microwaved and chopped into pieces).


Pour this mixture onto the tortillas, and pour the egg on top.


Top with the shredded cheese and bake at 350F for 25 minutes.


Serve with salsa or your favorite hot sauce.

Deelish and super hearty.

Any favorite tomato recipes you'd like to see on the blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment