Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Attractive things.

Apparently some of you are fans of the vegetable of the week posts. So, this is for you!

Drum roll, please...

And the vegetable of the week is...jicama!

I can't say it's the most attractive looking thing, but this is what it looks like:


It's even more attractive when it's peeled.


It looks like a gigantic onion. Barf. 

Good thing it doesn't taste like an onion!!! In fact, it has the texture of an apple/pear but it's not sweet at all. I really like it! And I really like the fact that it's fibrous. Bonus!

Since I've never really cooked with jicama, I decided my safest bet was to make a salad.

So, I cut the jicama into halves and then quarters, and chopped it up.


For this particular salad, I used half of the jicama. And then I added some romaine lettuce, tomatoes, mangoes, and walnuts. For the dressing, I squeezed in some lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.


I would also recommend adding garbanzo beans to this salad! Maybe next time.


Have you tried jicama? What's your favorite way of eating it?

No comments:

Post a Comment