Sunday, July 10, 2011

I have a hankerin'...

If you haven't noticed, I am so very behind on my themed blog posts. But don't worry, I've got you covered this week.

Since I've been asked for awhile about this specific theme, late night snacks will be this week's focus.

You know you've been through it. 10:00 PM rolls around and all of a sudden that snack craving hits you hard. It could be because you're watching those Oreo commercials on tv, or maybe because you're studying hard for an exam. Either way, the easiest thing to do is to pick up a bag of chips and finish the entire bag. 

Sodium much? Unless you're like me and you'd rather eat an entire box of Great Grains cereal instead. (Honestly. That stuff is addicting to the max!).

Either way...does this sound familiar? And it seems like once you start the late night eating habit, it's near impossible to put a stop to it. So, in my opinion, the best thing to do is to make late night snacks healthier. 

Today, I have a savory snack and a sweet snack to share with you.

Nachos:


I made my own chips by heating up a tortilla on a cast iron skillet (a regular skillet would work, too) until slightly crispy. Then I broke it apart into bite-sized pieces, and left it to crisp up more on the skillet. Then I put the chips on a plate, topped them with some shredded cheese, and microwaved it until the cheese melted. For toppings, the options are endless!! For the above plate, I used refried pinto beans and my own cucumber mango salsa (with the addition of tomatoes). 

This snack comes together in less than 10 minutes--and I assure you, it should satisfy a late night hankering for something delicious.

But...if you have a sweet tooth, I'd recommend this:


Cherries dipped in dark chocolate. I'm usually not a fan of fruits dipped in chocolate, but this is so incredibly decadent tasting, you'll forget you're eating fruit altogether. The best part is that you are eating fruit, and dark chocolate has lots of health benefits. For this snack, I melted a couple of squares of dark chocolate in the microwave and just dipped fresh cherries into the chocolate. Cherries are on sale now, so I'd suggest making this snack ASAP!

Okay--I have a busy week ahead of me (it's almost like I'm back in school...what's that all about?!), but I hope to crank out more of these snack posts in the next few days. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment