Saturday, July 16, 2011

Have your cake and eat it too!

This post is going to represent my entire life...

a.k.a. delicious dessert and working out.

I hope we don't have any McJudgersons around here. I know that you can empathize.

If not, I'm pretty sure I can justify posting a cake recipe and following it up with a fat-blasting interval workout.

Deal? Deal.

Last week, I baked not one, but two cakes: Mama Pea's Apple Spice Coffee Cake (a vegan cake recipe I highly recommend!) and a super moist Tres Leches cake.

Tres Leches cake is notoriously fatty. Fatty, but delicious. My version is less fatty, but still delicious. And it is incredibly easy.

First, using a cake mix, bake a regular yellow cake according to the box directions.

In a bowl, whisk together 1 can fat-free sweetened condensed milk, 1 can fat-free evaporated milk, and 2 cups 1% or skim milk.


When the cake has finished baking, allow it to cool. Then, using a fork, poke some holes in the cake. Pour some of the milk mixture over the cake and allow it to soak through. Repeat until the cake is very moist.


Top with ground cinnamon and enjoy! I would have taken an after picture, but a super moist cake does not a good picture make.

On to the workouts!

I realize that I harp on group fitness a lot. And yoga. And maybe the occasional run when my body allows it. However, people have told me they go to the gym and don't know what to do. Or, they want to lift weights but aren't sure which machines to use or where to begin.

So, yesterday, when I went to the gym and had no plan in mind, I came up with this easy interval workout using the treadmill/elliptical and several of the weights machines. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the names of the weight machines, I'll post some pictures at the end so you have a better idea.

Also-- on the weights, go heavy!!! And I mean so heavy that by the end of the last set, your arms feel like jello.

Upper Body Fat-Blaster Intervals:
  • 10 minute warm-up: elliptical
  • Chest press: 3 sets, 12 reps 
  • Lateral raise: 3 sets, 10 reps
  • 6 minute treadmill intervals: alternate between 4.5mph and 6.0mph every minute
  • Tricep pushdown: 3 sets, 12 reps
  • Vertical row: 3 sets, 15 reps
  • 6 minute treadmill intervals: alternate between 5.0 and 6.5mph every minute
  • Overhead press: 3 sets, 12 reps
  • Seated row: 3 sets, 12 reps
  • 6 minute treadmill intervals: alternate between 4.5 and 6.0 every minute
  • Cool down: 2-3 minute treadmill walk
  • Stretches of choice (make sure to definitely target the shoulders, back, and legs)

[Source]
Chest Press (Chest) 
[Source]
Lateral Raise (Shoulders)
[Source]
Tricep Pushdown (Triceps)
[Source]
Vertical Row (Upper back)
[Source]
Overhead Press (Shoulders/triceps)
[Source]
Seated Row (Upper back)
For anyone who isn't seasoned at weight lifting, starting with these machines is the best idea. Lifting free weights requires proper posture, and lifting heavy amounts of weights with improper posture leads to pulling muscles in the back, etc. Not good!! Weight machines are incredibly useful for ensuring your posture is correct and that you are using the muscles you should be using to lift the weights.

I hope this was helpful!! I've love to hear from you-- so don't be shy if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions on other workout tutorials.

No comments:

Post a Comment