Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First Day.

Today I had my first day of work. It was strangely reminiscent to a first day of school. It made me feel like less like an adult (which I apparently am) so I was a fan... despite the fact that the day was long. I need to get used to this.

But I must say that I'm excited to spend lots of time at work because there's a full gym there. I just can't seem to escape from fitness. Except that I haven't consistently worked out in a few weeks. Details.

Needless to say, I am so glad I baked an entire pan of lasagna last night. The last thing I wanted to do when I came home today was cook an extravagant meal. Fortunately, an extravagant meal was waiting for me in the fridge! How convenient.

Remember the time I made enchiladas filled with sweet potato/pinto bean/spinach puree? When I ate those, I was completely inspired to make lasagna with a similar filling. And that I did!

Warning: the pictures are pretty strange looking. Apparently I shouldn't cook at night because the lighting here is quite unfavorable for blogging. Regardless, this lasagna is absolutely tasty. And you should make it.


Creamy Sweet Potato Lasagna

Ingredients:

  • 1 box whole grain lasagna 
  • pasta sauce*
  • 1 sweet potato
  • 1 small container part-skim ricotta
  • mozzarella cheese

*I made my own pasta sauce using the following ingredients:
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 fresh tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 orange bell pepper
  • 2 cups frozen + thawed spinach
  • salt/pepper/oregano

For the sweet potato filling, I microwaved the sweet potato for 5-6 minutes, peeled it, then blended it with the ricotta.


I also used this fancy spelt lasagna which was another one of my foodie finds


I cooked the lasagna according to the directions on the box, and layered pasta sauce/lasagna/sweet potato mixture/mozzarella in some arbitrary order and baked it for 45 minutes.

I was so impatient during that 45 minutes, you have no idea.


But it was completely worth it, because now I can come home every day this week and have this fancypants meal waiting for me in the fridge. Ahh yeah.


I may have to feature a make-ahead meal every week. Not only for you, but also for me. But for now, I'm off to go vote for acts on America's Got Talent!! (Priorities).

No comments:

Post a Comment