Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Asparagus ahoy!

Buying produce is a huge problem. When I go grocery shopping, I have to get the exact amount of veggies that I think will suffice for one week of cooking almost everyday just for myself. This time I might actually have overestimated and bought too much asparagus because it was on sale. (Somehow, when I go to Sunflower market, they seem to have the veggie I'm featuring that week on sale. It's almost as if they know!) Anyway, I may have to do something drastic tomorrow to solve this asparagus problem. We'll see.

For dinner today, I decided to make an asparagus Asian-themed stir fry. I realized that since I've started blogging, I haven't made any sort of Asian food, which is strange, because when I first started cooking and making really simple dishes, I always made stir fry. Why? All you need is soy sauce, and it tastes great.

But I've grown as a chef (heh) since then, so this stir fry involves a bit more (ingredient-wise as well as taste-wise!).

First I scrambled two eggs.


Then I prepared another skillet with a few teaspoons of coconut oil, garlic, and green chilies.


I threw in lots of asparagus, red bell pepper, and mushrooms.

Look familiar? Hint: Grilled Vegetable Medley!

Then I added some frozen peas and fresh spinach. And then the egg.


Here comes the fun part--spicing it up! (As usual, all of this is completely arbitrary in terms of amounts). First I added rice vinegar. Then, because I just happened to have a can of it, I added some coconut milk. Since it has such a strong flavor, I added only a few tablespoons. Then I added (low sodium) soy sauce and black pepper. I stirred it around, and then covered it for about 2 minutes while on medium heat. When I uncovered it, I seriously thought I smelled Thai food. YUM!!!


This with a side of my spiciest chili paste made a nice complete meal!


I could have eaten it with some brown rice, but I wasn't feeling it. Plus it was delicious on its own!

2 comments:

Namaste gurl said...

Love your Thai coconut egg scramble-- as you know, I'm a coconut LOVER too. Any form it's in, I'll take it :)

Tulika said...

ah thanks so much!! it definitely was delicious :)

Post a Comment