Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Move Over, McDonalds!

I think this is the best Tulika-fied version of a junk food favorite so far.

Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns

It tastes so unhealthy, it's ridiculous. And you don't miss the potato.

I wasn't planning on cooking today. However, I couldn't help but do some more research on spaghetti squash, and I came across some really interesting ideas. One of which was spaghetti squash hash browns. I decided to try it right away. 

Ingredients:
  • spaghetti squash
  • flour (I used whole wheat, of course)
  • grated parmesan 
  • olive oil
  • salt/pepper
I had two quarters of my massive spaghetti squash left. I used one quarter. I hadn't cooked it yet, and this time instead of baking it, I thought I'd cook it in the microwave. (Cover the squash in plastic wrap with some holes, put it on a plate with some water, and heat for 10 minutes). This was much faster and it was a lot easier to scrape out the "spaghetti" afterwards in comparison to baking! 


I mixed less than 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour, and 1/8 cup of parmesan with the spaghetti. (Again, these are my arbitrary amounts). 


I then put one tablespoon of olive oil on a skillet, turned the stove on medium heat, and immediately scooped some "batter" onto the skillet.

This one was too thick, so I ended up flattening it out. It also cooked faster after being flattened.

Sprinkle a little salt/pepper on top, and it's good to go!

So CRISPY!

2 comments:

stringends said...

This is such an awesome idea! I showed my mom who is diabetic and shouldn't have potatoes. She loved the idea.

Tulika said...

Thanks so much! Glad you liked it...hopefully she gets a chance to try it out!

Post a Comment