Thursday, October 7, 2010

It's JAY WEEK!

Before I begin with today's various creations, here is a sneak peek of this week's surprise.

Fancy, I know.

Today, I went to school in my tennis shoes and work out clothes, just to make sure that I ACTUALLY went to the rec right after class. It worked out well. I ran 3.25 miles on the treadmill, and felt GREAT! I haven't run in weeks now, since I am addicted to group fitness classes. This was a nice change though. And it really worked up my appetite. 

So I had a few things in my fridge that needed to be finished ASAP: a large carton of egg whites, some kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and olives. I was determined to make something that combined these.

I somehow succeeded.

I decided to mash the kidney beans and some of the garbanzo beans together to make something resembling refried beans. Okay, I realize this sounds like a crazy idea.

Mashed beans.

I added some olive oil with the mashed beans in a pan and heated them up with a mixture of salt, pepper, and taco seasoning.


Then I started on a cheese, olive, and jalapeno (egg white) omelet.

The first time I made an omelet that stayed in one piece!

I ate the omelet with the side of refried (kidney and garbanzo) beans and a little bit of salsa. 

Those refried beans were the best idea ever.

On to this week's surprise!

So far, I have had several offers from people who want to cook with me. Thanks guys :). I decided that I should start "guest blogs." Here is the first one!!!

Jay, my dear friend and avid blog reader! 

Jay suggested we make panna cotta, an eggless Italian custard. I thought this sounded like a fantastic idea! I looked up some recipes and noticed that every recipe included gelatin. For those of you who are not aware, gelatin is definitely not vegetarian. I then narrowed down my search to vegetarian panna cotta. I compiled these recipes and made my own. Jay helped a little.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 1/4 cup coconut milk (instead of the suggested whole milk. almond milk is also a good substitute!)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons agar
Agar is the magical ingredient that takes the place of gelatin. 


We mixed all the ingredients together in a pot and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.


We then let it cool for a bit, and poured it into small bowls. 


We stuck them in the freezer for 20-30 minutes, and then put them in the fridge for a little bit. In the meantime, we made the mango sauce, with frozen mangoes, sugar, and lime juice. We put arbitrary amounts of everything and just tasted it to make sure it was okay.

Blending in the food processor.

Blended until saucy!

We took the panna cottas out of the fridge, and turned them upside down out of the bowls. We each made our own design with the sauce.

Jay's!

Mine!

Whose is tastier looking?!

2 comments:

Lalita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lalita said...

Jay's. Duh.


Just kidding. They both look delish. ;)

Post a Comment