Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hot dog.

I don't know what's going on with my blogging schedule. It's been quite spontaneous lately, just like my fitness schedule.

Seriously, I need some scheduling in my life. It's too weird not having a schedule. I blame it on no school.

I also blame it on the fact that I have been packing every single day, and discovering things I didn't even know I owned.

Like 200 headbands. Huh.


How did that happen? I haven't worn headbands since 2008. Maybe I'll bring them back. 2011 style.

I'm still racing against time to experience as many new restaurants here as I can. Last night, I went to Magpies for the first time. They had quite the vegetarian selection! I love/hate when there are too many options. But I actually love when a pizza place offers whole wheat crust!!! Magpies is also pretty awesome in that there is a section of the menu dedicated to lighter pizzas with less cheese and more veggies. Count me in!

I ended up splitting one of the lighter pizzas with whole wheat crust.


It included regular tomato sauce with stewed tomatoes, artichokes, mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and romano cheese. The pizza was so flavorful, I didn't even notice that it didn't have any mozzarella! The best part was that I ate half of this large pizza and didn't feel as heavy as I normally would after eating pizza. Success!

Remember the time I bought a cabbage and thought I could finish it in less than a week? Fail. But I did make something pretty cool today.

I made sauerkraut, based on this recipe from Bobby Flay!

My version included:
  • 1/4 red cabbage, chopped
  • 2 large cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/8 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • salt & pepper to taste

So.Much.Cabbage.


I combined the water, vinegar, and oil in a pot over medium heat, and then added the cabbage, mustard seeds, and garlic. I allowed the mixture to simmer for about 20 minutes.


Then I let it cool and refrigerated it until I decided how to use it. 

I decided to go the classic route. And a little out of the way of my usual eating habits.

Hot dogs. Veggie dogs! TFG style, of course.


Instead of using veggie dogs (they are so difficult to find these days!), I decided to pick up a new-to-me product: Gimme Lean Sausage. It was super easy to prepare--just cut it into slices, and heat it on a skillet with a splash of olive oil until browned.


I served it on a whole wheat bun with the sauerkraut, some lightly sauteed mushrooms, ketchup, and mustard. And a pickle on the side!


Chomp chomp. The veggie hot dog disappeared in no time. I really liked the flavor of the "sausage." It was a bit spicy; I think I prefer it over regular veggie dogs actually!

And sometimes it's okay to indulge!! For dessert, a cupcake:


But not just any cupcake. A cupcake from Red Velvet Cupcakery! This one was an almond-scented cupcake topped with milk chocolate frosting. 

Yum yum yum! What a nice couple of days of food. 

Next post will definitely include some fitness. As I mentioned, I've been doing a variety of workouts lately that haven't involved any group fitness classes...it's so different and really takes a lot more motivation!

2 comments:

Michele said...

I LOVE gimmie lean sausage! I dont eat that much processed "imitation meats" anymore but when I did, gimmie lean was it! Its great in lasagna too, for the sausage taste, and breakfast bakes and imitation quiches! biscuits and gravy.. mm.. ok you can tell im hungry, sitting here sipping my juice and dreaming of food lol

Tulika said...

Hahaha! Yeah--I hardly ever eat processed soy anymore, so this was a nice treat to have! Great ideas though, I'll keep those in mind :)

Post a Comment