Tuesday, May 3, 2011

No excuses!

I haven't discussed enough fitness lately. And the other day, my exercise physiology professor showed us this hilarious cartoon. So it's only fitting that I start off with it:


Does that give you enough motivation to workout? :)

Now let's talk food. Healthy food. I have so much to catch you up on!

I bought a block of 5-grain tempeh a couple of weeks ago, and I had some big plans for that block o' fun. I began by cutting the tempeh into thin slices.


And prepared the marinade:
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/8 cup teriyaki sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika


I would maybe decrease the amount of oil next time just a bit, because this makes a lot of marinade!

I put the sliced tempeh in a large ziplock bag and poured the marinade inside.


I left this in the fridge overnight, but if you're impatient, it can marinate for just a few hours as well.

The next day, I cooked a few slices on a skillet until both sides were nicely browned.


In the meantime, I cut a couple of slices of rustic french bread (so soft!), spread a generous amount of hummus on each slice, and topped the bread with a handful of spinach. I put the bread combination in the oven (350F) for 5 minutes.

And then topped each slice with the tempeh!


This was just a lovely lunch!! So many delish flavors combined!


The tempeh was just the right amount of crispy and the warm hummus was so tasty. Success!

So...I did say that I have a lot to catch you up on. But I also have a lot of exam studying to catch up on. (I applaud myself for that segue). 

Don't worry, I'll have lots to show you tomorrow, including another one of my favorite veggies! Can you guess what vegetable was on sale this week? Hint: it's another root! I'm not sure why I have this strange obsession with root veggies...

No comments:

Post a Comment