Wednesday, May 25, 2011

So much food...so little time!

I have less than two days left until I leave town, which means I'm still trying as many new restaurants as possible! It is (unfortunately) impossible to try every restaurant here, there are just way too many.

I'll post tomorrow about where I've gone out to eat this week. Today, I want to show you my healthy^2 lunch.

I mentioned I went home this weekend. I didn't mention that I left with a bag full of tomatoes. Not just any tomatoes--tomatoes from my dad's garden! Cool, huh?! The only problem is that it's really hard for one person to eat 10 tomatoes. So I thought of something I could make with lots and lots of tomatoes...

Gazpacho!

If you haven't heard, gazpacho is cold, raw soup. I realize if I describe it like that, it does not sound enticing at all. How about if I describe it like salsa in a bowl?

I promise it's really good, and quite refreshing!!


Gazpacho

Ingredients:
  • 5 tomatoes
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 cups V8 (I used V8 Spicy Hot, low sodium)
  • 3 teaspoons basil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • salt/pepper to taste

Gather the veggies.


Chop them and add to the blender with V8, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt/pepper, and basil.

Remember the frozen basil cubes I found at TJ's? SO convenient!!


Also, I had to make this in batches to make sure it fit in the blender.


When blended and up to taste-tested standards, put in a container and chill in the fridge overnight.


So refreshing on a hot summer's day! It would be delish with some tortilla chips on the side! Yum.

Part two of my lunch today coming up in another post! Stay tuned :).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa fantastic photographs!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the frozen basil. it is such a time savor and flavor booster in cooking. love your blog tulika :) - Gabby

Post a Comment