Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dessert, breakfast, and coconut milk...oh my!

The title is a summary of my day.

I ate dessert for breakfast, breakfast for lunch, breakfast for dinner, and dessert for dessert. I photographed all meals except for dessert (by then I was too annoyed having to wait 10 minutes to eat my food because of the picture taking). I also had a photo shoot with my So Delicious coconut milk carton.

I like this picture the best because it accurately portrays my bulging right bicep.

I didn't do this because I had free time. I actually did this because I'm entering a contest to win some So Delicious products. Sigh. The things I do for free stuff.

I started my day with some apple pie oats. I know, the dessert for breakfast thing is getting old. But it isn't for me...

yet.

Fluffy oats.

All the cool bloggers have been talking about this new way to make creamy oats. I jumped on the bandwagon. Unfortunately, this new method takes a lot more time than I usually have in the morning. Unfortunately, I might start waking up earlier just to make these more often, because the texture was better than any other type of oatmeal EVER!

Apple Pie Oatmeal

To make this, soak oats and oatbran (1:1 ratio) with 1/2 chopped apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon in water for 20 minutes or so. I used 3 tablespoons of each in about 1 1/2 cups of water. Heat and bring to a boil, then add 1 tablespoon chia seeds. Let simmer until most of the water has been absorbed. Then add walnuts and 1/4 cup almond milk and mix thoroughly. I topped the bowl with SunButter (not pictured).


It actually tasted like fluffy apple pie. 

This morning, I was reading a recipe for waffles. And then I decided that I wanted to make waffles. Fortunately, Alyssa has a waffle maker. 

So I had waffles for lunch. But not just any waffles. Wheat, Oat, and Flax Waffles.

Ingredients: (Makes 2 large waffles)
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup oat bran
  • 2 tablespoons flax seeds
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon melted Smart Balance
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder

Mix all ingredients together to make the batter.


Pour into waffle maker and let cook.

I topped the first one with coconut oil and maple syrup (delish combination, by the way). [Side note: when I say maple syrup, I mean real maple syrup. Not the sugary stuff.]


And the second one with date syrup. Yep, I ate both of them. I only knew it was a terrible idea after I'd already done so.


Just looking at these pictures makes me feel like eating waffles again. Sooo good.

About three hours later, I went to two awesome classes at the rec. Butts 'n' Guts (a 40 minute class) and Calorie Knock Out (another 40 minute class). Calorie KO is my new favorite class. Remember when I discussed the hip hop class last week? After going to Calorie KO, I don't think I'll go back to hip hop. Basically, this class alternates between cardio intervals and weight training intervals. The cardio is done using the step (which makes it really intense!) and weights are usually focused on arms. There are also drills, including high knees, power squats, and cardio lunges with the step. It's a great workout.

I've somewhat finalized a fitness schedule for this semester:

Kickboxing: 1-2 times/week
Zumba: 1-2 times/week
Cardio/Weight (Boot Camp, Calorie KO, etc): 3 times/week
Abs: alternating days
Yoga: every now and then

For those of you who are interested in joining me, please do!

Today's spinach recipe will be featured in tomorrow's post. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment