Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dessert for breakfast. Part three.

The reason I'm not usually fond of running is because I get bored. The reason I like kickboxing is because it involves changing movements every 15 seconds.

Lately I've been hearing a lot about HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). I thought I'd try it out today on the treadmill. Here is what I did:

Minutes 0-5: 3.5 mph
Minutes 5-15: Alternating 5.5 and 5.9 mph every minute
Minutes 15-25: Alternating 5.8 and 6.2 mph every minute
Minutes 25-30: Alternating 5.5 and 5.9 mph every minute
Minutes 30-35: 3.5 mph

Changing my speed every minute made the run go a lot quicker! Also, I felt more tired than I normally would after a steady 35 minute run. (I find that a good thing). I think I'll try it next time with a slight incline!

Yesterday at the grocery store, I found out some horrible news about my beloved bran flakes. I guess I never really stopped to look at the ingredient list of "healthy" cereals but now I know that even "healthy" cereals contain sugar. And now I'll be eating oats and other such grains for breakfast.

But why not make the oatmeal interesting?! This morning I made carrot cake oatmeal. I was inspired by Angela's recipe.


I cooked my oats in skim milk with shredded carrots and a splash of vanilla. And then I mixed in walnuts and flax seeds.

Topped with coconut banana soft serve (frozen banana + few spoonfuls shredded coconut blended).

For lunch, I brought back the brussels sprouts in raw form with a brussels sprouts salad.

I used the fresh brussels for this as they are easier to chop finely.



I added red bell peppers, a couple of tomatoes, a clove of garlic, and half of a serrano pepper. And a couple of handfuls of pepitas.


I dressed it with lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a pinch of black pepper.


Surprisingly, the raw brussels tasted almost as good as the roasted! And it didn't even require a huge amount of dressing. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment