Sunday, January 2, 2011

Puddin'.

My most recent culinary experiment involved avocados in dessert form.

Before you assume that this was another failed experiment (I wouldn't blame you), let me explain! It seems like lots of vegan desserts these days involve avocado because of its creaminess when pureed. I originally wanted to try making avocado ice cream, but decided I'd save that for another day when I've had some sort of avocado dessert experience.

I made avocado pudding. I also had the intention of making this vegan, but that plan fell through when I added milk.

Ingredients:
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
  • 1.5 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2-3 tablespoons chia seeds

Did I mention that this experiment involved lots of forms of sugar?

I cut the avocado and blended it until smooth with a hand blender. 


Then I added the cocoa powder, stirred, and blended some more.


I added a couple of tablespoons of the milk, stirred, and then added the honey.


This is where I thought the recipe was over. And then I tasted my creation. So I added the brown sugar.


And then the rest of the milk. And brown rice syrup.


For additional protein and thickness, I used chia seeds.

And then I topped my small bowl of pudding with cinnamon toffee almonds. 


Beware, this is some thick and filling pudding. And also requires somewhat of an "acquired" taste.

2 comments:

Lalita said...

or "acquired vision..."

on another note, i think my favorite flavor of ice cream is cucumber. There's an ice cream shop in baltimore that does vegetable flavors. Naturally, it involves a lot of sugar, but they have flavors like tomato, beets, (which make sense, since they're kinda sweet) and even garlic! I never got around to trying that last one...but they use the natural vegetables for the initial flavor. All this just makes me think that the avocado ice cream is going to be delicious. :)

Tulika said...

Wow, those ice cream flavors sound surprisingly good (especially beet...I NEED to try that sometime!). I personally think that my (vision for the) avocado ice cream might turn out a lot better than the avocado pudding did...because really, ice cream > pudding.

Post a Comment