Monday, January 17, 2011

Pretty food is tasty food.

Purple is my favorite color. Maybe that's why I like beets so much. They stain everything purple. And they also make food look pretty. Like beet tzaziki.

Tzaziki is a Greek/Mediterranean yogurt dip, usually made with cucumbers. I've found variations that use beets, so I thought I'd try it out.

The hardest part of making this was chopping the beets finely without getting purple everywhere.

Beet Tzaziki

Ingredients:
  • 2 small beets, chopped finely or grated
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt
  • lemon juice
  • 1 clove garlic
  • black pepper, to taste
  • parsley

Yesterday I cooked all of my beets for the week in the oven by chopping the leaves off (and leaving about an inch of the stems on), placing the beets in a baking dish with a few sprinkles of water, covering the dish with foil, and baking at 425F for about 30 minutes. Afterwards, the peels come off quite easily.

For the tzaziki, I chopped my already cooked beets finely. I tried grating them, but they were so soft that they only came out in large chunks with the grater.


In a bowl, add the chopped garlic clove and lemon juice. Let sit for 10 minutes.


Add in the Greek yogurt and black pepper.


Add the beets and mix thoroughly.


How lovely does this look!?


Add the parsley.


I was hoping this tasted as good as it looked.


It did.


Obviously, I needed something to eat with my new dip, so I waited to figure that out after my workout for the day.

After about one month of not practicing kickboxing, I jumped right in today. I don't know how I could have possibly forgotten how GREAT of a workout kickboxing is. Good thing I was reminded halfway through my routine when I was sweating profusely. 

I think you know where I'm going with this.

Afterwards, I was ready to eat anything. So I prepared some red quinoa to go with some lightly sauteed spinach and Seitan.

Spinach and Seitan sauteed with olive oil, garlic, and 1/2 green chili, seasoned with a pinch of salt.

Oh, and I decided to dip carrots and cucumbers into my beet tzaziki. Vegetables dipped into more vegetables...that's what the 6 pack is talking about.


Actually, this whole meal is what the 6 pack is talking about.


Greek yogurt + quinoa + seitan = protein.


Because I haven't said enough, I'd like to conclude this post with this morning's delish breakfast.

Oat bran cooked in milk and topped with blueberries, banana, walnuts, chocolate almond butter, and homemade coconut butter.

If you think oatmeal is creamy, just wait until you try oat bran. 

No comments:

Post a Comment